Monday, November 23, 2015

A roof in the palm of your hand

I wanted to show you my latest commission. It is a really small brooch (6 x 6.5 cms), and it is supposed to be the central bay of the Mausoleum of Galla Placida in Ravenna. These are the symbols of the four evangelists surrounding the cross and floating in a blue sky of stars. OK, pheeewww!! You can see it here or read more about this magnificent place here

I have always wanted to visit this place (it is still on my bucket list) and as an "ex-art historian" I knew exactly what this place was when the person mentioned what they wanted.

On the other hand, as an "amateur embroiderer" I must say it was quite a challenge to try to fit a roof on a tiny square, but I was very curious to see how I would manage. Obviously the blue sky was one big factor pulling me in, but the figures were not. Somehow the more work I did, the closer it started resembling the actual roof... but by no means it is a replica.



I am happy with the result and I think the new owner is quite pleased as well. Pheewww!!

I hope all is well at your end. I feel I want to complain about the weather, but I won't, after all I am not south of the equator, but soon will be close enough. I am quite excited about it!! For that reason,
I have added a discount on my Etsy shop, just use the code: THANKFUL. I will be closing it the 12th of December.
Giova

6 comments:

  1. the colour of the fabric and of the floss is so lovely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Patricia! The top fabric is an old Japanese fabric, part of a boro quilt :)

      Delete
  2. It's lovely, it suits your work so well. What an incredible place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I think that is one of the reasons I agreed to do the brooch, as I felt is wasn't to far from my own work ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely to have found your blog and see all the lovely crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to find your blog and see all the lovely crafts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...